Great week of testing! Thanks to you all for your flexibility and follow through for this week. We know there were some significant connectivity issues that were beyond our control but you all stuck to it like Broncos do and we made it through! Thanks to Ms Brown and all her right hands for driving forward.
Saturday Academy! Another great day of learning and sharing this weekend! We were just shy of 100 students and for a school of 460, that’s a significant number. Consider this – we have about 1/5 of our families wake up early to to get their kids to school to some learning that they think will help them to the next level. We want and need to encourage that energy! This is a point to try some new things out, see if some innovations will be successful in our classroom. Have fun driving the learning forward.
New Purchasing Program
Cumberland County Schools has a new purchasing program available for full time employees. This one page slide has all the information regarding this program, including information link and qualifications.
- Notifying school officials on student safety issues: Its important that when you learn of issues concerning student safety, you notify appropriate staff immediately. Some of the things that should be shared immediately are learning that a student has a weapon, drugs, has been abused at home, and is planning a fight. Again, this is not an exhaustive list but these things should be given immediate attention. You have several options – call the front desk to have someone sent to your office, send an email marked urgent, send a text marked urgent. We cannot sit on this information. We have to think precaution for students who don’t always make the best decision.
- SRO’s role at school: We are blessed to have SRO Estevez posted at our school full time. She does a good job making her presence felt and being seen. But she is not a staff member here at SLMS. I’ve made a point to share that if you have a need or concern, please contact an administrator, SSC and we will involve Estevez as needed. We want to make sure that we have good clear line between school personnel and our SRO.
- Contacting the front desk: If you contact the front desk for immediate assistance and don’t get an answer, please communicate that to your assistant principal. As you all know Ms Autry is out for an extended time and we are filling in. While we are doing our best, we do recognize some gaps. If there is something that is troubling or concerning you, please contact your administrator and we will look into needed adjustments.
I like to include some shots of the great things we are doing at Spring Lake Middle but given I was out Monday and Tuesday and we had testing going I wasn’t able to capture our awesomeness like I normally do.
Instead, I am sharing this video I’ve found on a school’s journey to really transform how they look at learning and teaching.
This is about cultural and idea changes that eventually permeate through the school. This is about collaboration and vision and driving forward! Everyone has to be included in the talk and new direction. This is a great inspiration. I don’t know how, but I would like to have a discussion about this later on! [I may get creative on how we have the discussion]
Our focuses this year, the areas that we need to focus on that will make a difference in learning are Rigor, Tech Integration, Digital Age Learning and Differentiation! We have to keep these in our forefront!
Monday 10.27 – Friday 10.31 – Spirit Week
- Spirit Day ‘Think Pink’
- Grade Level Meetings – Planning Periods
- Spirit Day ‘Crazy Socks’
- School Pictures
- Soccer Strength Game
- Collaborative Planning
- Spirit Day ‘Twin Day’
- Volleyball Strength Game
- Protected Planning
- Football @ Anne Chestnutt MS
- Spirit Day ‘Blue and Gold Day’
- Spirit Day ‘Superhero Day’